Kingsey Falls, Quebec, Canada 26 July 2018 -- /CNW Telbec/ -- Cascades Inc. (TSX: CAS), a leader in the recovery and manufacture of green packaging and tissue products, announces the acquisition of the White Birch, Bear Island manufacturing facility in Virginia , for a cash consideration of US$34.2 million . The newsprint paper machine presently located on the site will be reconfigured to produce high quality recycled lightweight linerboard and medium for the North American market. During the period prior to the conversion, White Birch will temporarily operate the site as a newsprint mill, under a 27-month lease.
The new machine is expected to have an annual production capacity of 400,000 tons and construction costs on a per ton basis that are competitive with similar conversion projects. As presently contemplated, the conversion would require an estimated investment of between US$275 and US$300 million , with production expected to begin in 2021. Details of the project will be announced when plans are finalized and approved by the Board of Directors, which is expected in the course of 2019.
Commenting on the project, Mr. Mario Plourde , CEO of Cascades, stated: "This project is directly in line with the goals of our strategic plan which include, among other things, investing in our core sectors of packaging and tissue through modernization, and expanding our geographical footprint. In addition to the paper machine that is particularly well suited for conversion, the Bear Island site is strategically located for raw material sourcing and logistics. Based on the success of our Greenpac Mill, we expect this to be a highly competitive facility that will significantly contribute to the success of our containerboard operations by supporting our geographic expansion in the US market, in addition to generating solid returns for our shareholders."
Mr. Charles Malo , COO of Cascades Containerboard Packaging stated: "The Bear Island site has several advantages including access to an experienced workforce with expertise in paper making. Moreover, the site provides a platform for continued growth through downstream converting capacity. It will also allow us to better serve our customers and to expand our market share by increasing our capacity to provide clients with high quality recycled lightweight linerboard similar to what we produce at our Greenpac Mill.
From a consolidated standpoint, the Bear Island acquisition costs will fall within the previously announced capex envelope for 2018. With Cascades' continued focus on projects like Bear Island aimed at modernizing production facilities in our core sectors of packaging and tissue, it is expected that capital expenditures in 2019 will remain at a level similar to 2018, subject to Board approval.
The Company expects cash flow to remain solid over the coming years as business conditions in North America and in Europe are projected to remain healthy, and gradual improvements are expected in the Tissue segment in the medium term as market conditions begin improving and recent investments generate positive momentum. Cascades is committed to successfully executing this conversion plan while simultaneously maintaining a healthy balance sheet and a judicious focus on returning cash to our shareholders.
Founded in 1964, Cascades produces, converts and markets packaging and tissue products that are composed mainly of recycled fibres. The Company employs 11,000 women and men, who work in close to 90 production units in North America and Europe . With its management philosophy, half a century of experience in recycling, and continuous efforts in research and development as driving forces, Cascades continues to deliver the innovative products that customers have come to rely on. Cascades' shares trade on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol CAS.
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 bolts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.