York, Pennsylvania, USA 27 August 2018 -- (From news reports) -- The investment firm buying Glatfelter's specialty papers division says it plans to invest in the division and make it more competitive.
In a deal announced earlier this week, the firm, Lindsay Goldberg LLC, is paying $320 million in cash for Glatfelter's specialty papers division, its largest but also least profitable operating unit. Lindsay Goldberg is also assuming about $40 million in health care costs for Glatfelter retirees.
The specialty papers division includes plants in Spring Grove, Chillicothe, Ohio, and Fremont, Ohio, as well as woodyard operations in Maryland, Ohio and West Virginia. Abbreviated as SPBU, the division makes paper for printers, envelopes, playing cards, books and other applications.
In a press release, Lindsay Goldberg indicated that the firm planned to revitalize the unit with assistance from executives with paper-industry experience.
"We are energized by the opportunity to work with the talented team at SPBU and look forward to working with management and union members to enhance the competitiveness of these mills," Steve Klinger, who heads a related company in Lindsay Goldberg's portfolio, Crown Paper Group Inc., said in a statement. "During the evaluation process we identified multiple opportunities for the investment of capital in the mills, designed to increase efficiency and productivity. We are proud of our track record of engaging employees, embracing safe work practices, minimizing our environmental footprint, partnering with communities in which we operate, and building high performance paper businesses that exceed customer expectations."
Klinger is expected to be involved in the investments, according to a press release from Lindsay Goldberg, as is Steve Strickland, an executive at one of the firm's other companies, Golden West Packaging Group.
Glatfelter said in February it was exploring a potential sale or other option for its specialty papers business. The unit brings in the most revenue for the company, but its operating margins are lower than those for the manufacturer's other two divisions: composite fibers, used in food-related products; and airlaid materials, whose markets include health care.
Sales for specialty papers were $190 million for the three months, ending June 30, according to a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The unit had an operating loss of $20.9 million for the quarter.
In comparison, composite fibers had sales of $142.9 million and operating income of $13.2 million for the quarter. Airlaid materials had sales of $72.8 million and operating income of $7.6 million.
In its filing, Glatfelter attributed the weaker performance at specialty papers to several factors, including higher prices for energy, raw materials and maintenance.
As of February, Glatfelter's specialty papers unit employed 1,795 of the 4,200 people the company employed worldwide. The Spring Grove plant had 750 workers at that time, according to Business Journal records. Last summer Glatfelter laid off 70 employees from its specialty papers unit including 30 in Spring Grove.
The deal between Glatfelter and Lindsay Goldberg is expected to close during the fourth quarter of 2018, subject to satisfaction of customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 bolts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.