Wilmington, Delaware, USA 03 May 2018 -- Effective May 2, 2018, Solenis and BASF signed an agreement to combine BASF's paper and water chemicals business with Solenis to jointly create a customer-focused global specialty chemical company. The combined company intends to operate under the Solenis brand and will be positioned to provide expanded offerings and cost-effective solutions for customers in two specialty chemical businesses: paper technologies and industrial water technologies.
The transaction is expected to close around the end of 2018 following regulatory approvals and other customary conditions. Financial terms were not disclosed.
"Together, we have a unique opportunity to create a customer-focused global specialty chemical company with an enhanced focus and expanded offerings," said Solenis President and CEO John Panichella, who will lead the combined company headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, USA. "I am pleased that our cultures are closely aligned and that our companies share a strong common desire to create value for our customers. Together, as one team of experts, we will continue to strive toward excellence in innovation, sustainability and safety."
"Combined with Solenis' service capabilities, we will create additional value for our customers. They will benefit from our joint innovation activities, complementary state-of-the-art product portfolios, and dedicated service and application support," said Anup Kothari, president of BASF's Performance Chemicals division.
Customers to benefit from a complementary range of products and services
For the pulp and paper industry, the product portfolio of the combined enterprise will cover the entire range of water, process and functional chemistries as well as comprehensive service capabilities. For water-intensive markets, customers will benefit from Solenis' high-quality service capabilities and BASF's broad water treatment chemicals platform.
The transaction comprises BASF's global paper and water chemicals business, including nearly 1,300 employees globally. Upon the close of the transaction and in accordance with local laws, employees will transfer to Solenis.
The transaction includes the paper and water business assets of BASF's Performance Chemicals unit, including production sites in Bradford and Grimsby, UK; Suffolk, Virginia, USA; Altamira, Mexico; Ankleshwar, India; and Kwinana, Australia. BASF's paper and water chemicals production plants in Ludwigshafen, Germany, and Nanjing, China, will not transfer and will deliver raw materials pursuant to supply agreements. BASF's paper coating chemical business is not part of the contemplated transaction.
Solenis and BASF will continue to operate strictly as independent companies until the transaction is complete.
About BASF Paper and Water Chemicals
BASF Paper and Water Chemicals offer a comprehensive and customer-centric range of chemicals for the paper and water industry. Their paper chemicals portfolio comprises dry strength agents, fixing agents, retention and drainage aids, and flocculants and coagulants for water management. Their water chemicals portfolio includes products used in the key processes of industrial and municipal water treatment.
Solenis is a leading global producer of specialty chemicals for water intensive industries, including the pulp, paper, oil and gas, chemical processing, mining, biorefining, power and municipal markets. The company's product portfolio includes a broad array of process, functional and water treatment chemistries as well as state-of-the-art monitoring and control systems. These technologies are used by customers to improve operational efficiencies, enhance product quality, protect plant assets and minimize environmental impact. Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, the company has 35 manufacturing facilities strategically located around the globe and employs a team of approximately 3,700 professionals in 118 countries across five continents. For additional information about Solenis, please visit www.solenis.com.
* We are looking for a Production Shift Team Leader to maintain high standards, plus ensure safety policies and regulations for a company located close to Chicago's Midway Airport. If you are experienced team leader who has a four-year degree in an engineering/technical field (paper science degree preferred, and experience in recycled linerboard or corrugating medium paper mills is a plus), we are looking for someone like you! If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company in Illinois is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to maintain production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment. Relocation and other perks are available to the right candidate who is committed to working third shift. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Are you an experienced Maintenance Mechanic and would like to work for a family owned and operated corrugated packaging solutions company that invests in the best equipment and technology? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* A leading company in the corrugated solutions packaging business is looking for a experienced Electrician. The right candidate will possess the following skills: electrical; hydraulic; automatic drives (basic component machines 122 to 440 bolts). If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for a Corporate Industrial Electro-Mechanical Engineer near Allentown, PA. Relocation is available. Do you have a storied list of unique electrical and mechanical engineering skills you're ready to take to the next level? Do you envision yourself in a corporate-level leadership role that your experience finally merits? And do you relish any opportunity to troubleshoot and solve real-time problems, all while designing and installing new services and systems that will not only ensure safety, but also turn a potentially hazardous work environment into a continuously thriving one? If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* An expanding company is looking for hands-on Electro Mechanical Maintenance Techs in Conyers, Georgia. Preference will be given to candidates with higher education and additional certificates or training. You must be able to work any shift. Pay is negotiable with excellent perks and benefits. Relocation assistance is available to the right candidate. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
* Working as a Consultant? Looking for some additional challenges with a flexible scheduling? Have a background in Consistency Control? This may be just the opportunity you are looking for: A large multi-national automation company seeks an expert in paper mill consistency technology. This individual will facilitate application support and start-ups in the paper mill environment. In addition, the ability to provide troubleshooting and technical advice and support is strongly desired. The individual should have an understanding of rotary, blade, microwave and optical consistency and the application of these devices in the paper mill. The company sells and maintains a line of consistency transmitters, sample valves and sheet break detectors. These products are marketed in the US through a rep. network. Knowledge of sheet break detection technology is also desirable. Individual must be willing to travel to paper production facilities across the US. Travel & Living Expenses to be reimbursed along with an agreed upon daily per diem rate. For more information, please contact Jim Thompson at: email@example.com Ph. 678-206-6010 Cell: 404-822-3412.
Jim Thompson is back again...with a new book on a taboo subject: the personalities in the pulp & paper industry. Jim has written in the past on many subjects based on his four plus decades in the worldwide pulp and paper industry. This new book is packed full of information valuable to the senior member of the industry as well as the recent entrant. A must for every pulp and paper library.